Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Be Inspired No. 2 - Haint Blue Porch Ceiling

I fell in love with a reclaimed teak day bed with an iron canopy the minute I laid my eyes on it. It beckoned me for years and last year my resistance faltered. It became part of the outdoor living area on our patio. And this day bed and I have enjoyed many relaxing afternoons.

One of these recent relaxing afternoons, I happen to look up and I have to say the brown ceiling of our patio just isn't cutting it for me. After giving thought to a paint color for this ceiling I've decided to pay tribute to the traditional southern Haint Blue porch ceiling. Now I just need to wait for a day without rain and temperatures that won't have the paint drying in mid air.





According to Louisiana legend a "haint" is a spirit or ghost and that painting your porch ceiling haint blue chases away evil spirits, and deters insects to boot.  Apparently the blue color looks like endless sky to the critters, but it was actually the original ingredient of lime in the milk paint mixture that likely deterred them. Originally, haint blue was created with milk paint mixed with lime and other pigments.




The Historic Charleston Foundation has a licensed paint collection through Duron featuring a color that represents their interpretation of haint blue called "Gullah Blue". Here are my favorite bows to haint blue:


Benjamin Moore Crystal Springs

Benjamin Moore Mystical Blue

Benjamin Moore Palladin Blue

Benjamin Moore White Satin


Sherwin Williams Atmospheric

Sherwin Williams Meander Blue

Sherwin Williams Waterscape

And because of the soothing environment this idea of a blue ceiling can create, I don't think it should be limited to porch ceilings. 





I would love to hear how you've interpreted this tradition for the ceilings in your home and outdoor living areas. Looking forward to seeing your photographs!


Image and Research Sources: Apartment Therapy, Country Living, Elements of Style, Turquoise Tulips & Bliss, Flicker, Front Porch Ideas & More, Southern Living, Style Beat, Squidoo.com, Southern Accents


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this article! I am about to paint the ceiling of our massage studio blue and was going to go with Palladian Blue but I think Crystal Springs is going to win out. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Southern and have lived here my whole life (61 years). I have never heard of painting a Porch Ceiling blue to keep "hants"away. I'm fact, I've never seen a blue, or any other color, porch ceiling. Makes me curious!😁 Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...