Thursday, September 21, 2023

Rethinking the Look of Things No. 68 - The Concept of Pareidolia

 


I've been blessed to have an increase in the time I have been able to spend on my front porch reading this season. I'm not even close to putting a dent in my Front Porch Reading List, but the time to dust off some books in my libraries (piles here and piles there) has been so satisfying. 

The distractions have been few, but one has me rethinking the concept of pareidolia. I have had my head in the clouds so to speak as a passerby just might catch me staring up into the sky in awe of its ever-changing beauty and ever-changing dance of shapes my mind sees in the clouds. Pareidolia is the tendency to perceive a meaningful image in a random pattern and it has me rethinking how this relates to interior design. Not intentionally putting images into the design but seeing the design of a space for more - going deeper to elevate the design.





The design of our homes cannot be without meaning so the I think that a good designer needs to have the tendencies of pareidolia - to have the perception of significant patterns or recognizable images in random arrangements of shapes and lines. Whether designing our personal spaces or clients' spaces, this is a must.

The application of pareidolia in interior design is the partner to getting one with the spaces we are designing. Envisioning the space for its secrets, its calling. And then intertwining these images that come to mind with the owner's biography. 





How will this design story unfold to create the linger in its space that has the same effect on our soul that the sky with clouds does for us? To develop into an environment, we don't want to leave and that we don't want to stop revisiting again and again.

Maybe, just maybe when we are in a design slump, we need to take a break and sit under the clouds and breathe it in filling our tanks with inspiration and then back to the concept boards. 









One can only imagine the next level design that can happen from applying the concept of pareidolia at the brainstorming steps of a design project. Random, but planned. Significant, but comfortable. Meaningful, but relaxed. The perfect dance partners.





Let's get our heads in the clouds because the sky is to be marveled - a design that God renews minute by minute - season by season. A canopy we live under every day and miss seeing, may I say with consequence. 



Perhaps the inspiration from the sky will be the perfect paint color you have been looking for in your design plan. There are colors from the sky that almost seem unable to be duplicated - get as close as you can, the meaning of why you chose this color will be impactful. 









"You are my blue crayon, the one I never have enough of, the one I use to color my sky." A. R. Asher

Be inspired!

Sources: Tumblr, Schumacher, Luxe, Etsy, House Beautiful, Valerie McKeehan, Designs by Carla Aston, Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...