Monday, September 8, 2014

Rethinking the Look of Things No. 53 - "De-masking" Damask


Using a damask pattern in a modern setting also can mean keeping the reverence of the traditional ideal of it, but revealing a bit of your twisted self by inviting it in with no regret.
Willow Bee Inspired




Excuse my made up word. (or enjoy it!) But I'm rethinking the look of things by "de-masking" damask. A classic fabric design that translates beautifully into wallpaper and rugs as well. One that has a love for a more transitional or even modern style doesn't have to fore go this beauty.






Rethinking the use of damask in our world is sometimes as simple as using an enlarged, over exaggerated version of the pattern. Or finding it in a fun color palette.






Using a damask pattern in a modern setting also can mean keeping the reverence of the traditional ideal of it, but revealing a bit of your twisted self by inviting it in with no regret.





To me a room well-designed holds something that says "I'm comfortable showing my true self."






I doubt I am the only one who is drawn to a design element that lures me in and I am unable to explain why. A damask pattern is one of those elements no matter what media presented. Show me a silk damask, especially in a fun color, and I need to reach out and introduce myself to it.





Show me a damask pattern that shares two other loves of mine, ombre and aged metallic, and I need to check my composure.




And I just proposed my undying love to this stag damask! My made up word of "de-masking" is in the column of Gotta Love!


Image Sources: Designers Guild, Schumacher, Pinterest, Flicker, Kenneth James, Polyvore, Elle Decor, Churchill, Veranda, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...