Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Well Dressed Home No. 25 - Highland Fling

According to the Scottish American Society a plaid, or more properly pronounced “plaide” is a blanket.  In times past the Highlander wrapped himself up in his plaide at night.  It was his sleeping bag and it was also his garment during the day.  Since it was frequently woven in the form of a tartan, the two terms ultimately became confused.  It is common usage now to call a tartan a plaid.

Whether used as floor covering, window treatment, wall treatment or on furniture - this pattern creates a familiar and warm atmosphere. This effect is even felt with plaid wardrobe pieces.  The "comfort food" for home decor.

I love to see that it is understood that when using plaid it doesn't mean the room has to be dark and heavy. Although, it feels more like a "plaide" when the room gives off a cavernous feel.

It doesn't take much to show your highland fling - this great accent wall in a back entry is just enough.

Cheers to Highland Fling!

Image/Info Sources:  Scottish American Society, Adventures of Tartanscot, Pinterest, Ralph Lauren, Architectural Digest, Elle Decor, Home Fries

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...