Thursday, April 30, 2020

RSVP Collection No. 58 - Artistry of the Dough Bowl


It's a tradition that was passed down from my childhood to my children. There's a local bread factory close to where we live that emitted the glorious smell of freshly baked bread that you couldn't help but, put your windows down in the car to drink in with your eyes closed (not the driver, of course). I have one other childhood memory that I did not pass down to my kids and that is the same aroma from my Mom's freshly baked bread she handmade often. Why? I've made many of her recipes in my adult life and prepared for my own family, but baking bread was not one of them. More power to Mom!

This sensory memory was brought back during a recent visit to a vintage shop where I saw the largest ever dough bowl! Seriously, it had to have been a four footer. The bread that must have been made in that bowl time and time again, wow.



Once a household staple from first settlers to the early 1900's, no American home was complete without a dough bowl. Ingredients were mixed and kneaded into dough in the bowl, then covered with cloth to let rise. Wooden bowls were preferred as the wood held the heat generated by the fermentation of the yeast.








The more I petted this dough bowl, the more I could see why it was considered a household staple. Hell, I am considering it may be a household staple in my home - but not for bread making. More a bowl that holds inspiration! 

A place in entertaining decor for one! With the proper protective insert - the dough bowl could hold many a bottle of tasty beverages - have you seen such a charming ice bucket? 






The dough bowl as a mood-setter. You betcha! Some dry grain to hold the candles steady throughout the evening is stellar - whether the party is inside or out. Make sure those candles are unscented - don't want to spoil the aroma of your menu. Foliage, whether a permanent centerpiece or ever-changing with the seasons, the dough bowl is that quiet holder of charm.






As rustic as the vintage dough bowl is because of its hand-honed shape - it can feel welcome in a sophisticated setting easily. At home with the delicate orchid. Charming filled with the treasure of our latest reads by our favorite chair. Or perhaps that book is about our favorite hobby and is paired with a magnifying glass to catch every detail.





Keep the dough bowl raw and dull or polish it up with butchers block polish to highlight the story of its age. Feeling this to be a household staple in your home yet? No lie, I've dreamt about that huge dough bowl I saw. Can't get it out of my mind. Just haven't claimed it as mine yet. Perhaps writing a blog post about it will satisfy my attraction. 






Oh and there isn't anything wrong with acquiring a dough bowl to actually make bread! I'm thinking a few warm loaves of rosemary and olive oil fresh bread is perfect! How about you?

Sources: Pottery Barn, Sand & Sisal, Ballard Designs, One Kin Design, Savvy Southern Style, Enchanted Home, Library.Org


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...