Saturday, April 25, 2020

Be Inspired No. 91 - The Eyes Have It


My intrigue for eyes... it started on a lazy Summer afternoon and a family weekend at the cabin. My much younger kids, at the time and their Dad went off to do their thing and I decided to explore a small local antique shop not too far away. 

I came across a bin full of old paper, lithographs, and catalogs and hit the jackpot when I came across a small French menu in the shape of a egg cup. I knew I had to keep digging! When I took my finds to the shop owner to pay he mentioned he had a whole back room filled with old paper and I was invited to go back and look through.

Two hours later I came out of that back room with a flat cart stacked with paper treasures. One of which was an old ophthalmology textbook. Why? Because when I flipped through the book I was drawn to an eye sketch that I couldn't look away from. I took this treasure, along with a few others found that day, to my framer's to select the perfect frames. When I visit, I always go to the frames that are made from leftover mouldings and found a round frame that was perfect for my eyeball sketch. 





After I hung the round art-framed eyeball I remembered a clay eye of David that my son made during a summer art camp and my love of the eye detail deepened. I added that clay piece to a wall shelf that was part of my artscape.






Like a lot of my loves, I dedicated a Pinterest board to it. The Eyes Have It is a collection of some of the eye details featured in this blog post. I don't pin every eye I find - they have to make me stare before they gain a spot on my board. 





Detail isn't a new fling for me. So much of life's enjoyment is in the details that we can easily miss when we look at the big picture. Concentrating on the detail of the eye has given me a richer experience in artwork I've seen before. I'll admit there's a little bit of funkiness in this love and that's okay. The quirkiness in us sings out our personality and individuality. 





The beauty of the eye can hold a story that almost seems mysterious. One we can interrupt and own. There may be different versions of the story from one person to another and that is perfection!









The eyes are the mirror to our souls. Be inspired with this as a reminder that it's all in the details, every little detail - even the zooming in on a single eye. 


Sources: Tumblr, The Fuller View, Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...