Thursday, March 26, 2020

Garden Design No. 27 - The Language of Flowers


My sister is an extremely talented florist and owns a charming shop. Her love of flowers and plants is an innate talent she has had for as long as can remember. In her hands these flowers are loved. Over these last few days she has been posting, on social media the most inspiring messages of the meaning of flowers and how they relate to precious life itself. She stopped by my home last week to bring by a beautiful floral arrangement to help celebrate my birthday.

Her social media posts inspired me to look deeper into the floral arrangement - take in every detail and the meaning, rather than just the gesture.

This is what I have come to know - the message of my birthday arrangement. Freedom, joy, success and overcoming obstacles, courage, strength, understanding, appreciation, and love. Oh, and the leopard hat box the flowers are in? It's meaning? She knows me well!



The bird of paradise symbolizes paradise and freedom, as well as joy. It is also said to be a symbol of success and overcoming obstacles both in workplace and in life in general. The bird of paradise originates from South Africa and the cultivation of this flower was first carried out in 1773 at the Royal Botanical Garden in Kew, South Africa. I love the exotic structure of this flower - there's a humble pride about it.



Paired brilliantly in my floral arrangement is the pin cushion protea. Among the oldest families of flowers on earth dating back 300 million years, the protea is named after Greek god Proteus, a deity that was able to change forms. The protea symbolizes change and transformation. Diversity, courage and strength are also attributed to its meaning. This flower is fascinating in its form closed and especially when it's open. It's a free spirit - a rebel.




Tulip, a wildflower said to originate from Persia. In the 1500s, tulips were extensively cultivated in Turkey, and because of their resemblance to the “tulbend” — a turban worn by Turkish men — were called tulipan. Tulips come in a variety of colors and for the most part, they’re a symbol of a declaration of love. The orange tulip means a sense of understanding and appreciation. 

I may be late in the game of this discovery and appreciation of the meaning of flowers, however the timeliness of this new enlightenment is both precious and perfect. Just like a flower. My selection of the planting of flowers in the past was more from a designer's eye, choosing because of color and shape. What a delight to evolve into creating this additional meaningfulness to plantings that will be forever present in my life. 

My next phone call to my florist will not be to just ask that an arrangement be sent on my behalf in a dollar range - but will be more specific to what is in that arrangement because the flowers in the vase will be part of my message of love, hope, encouragement, and well wishes to those receiving them.

Be inspired by the language of flowers!


Sources: FTD, Tree Symbolism, Teleflora, Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...