Saturday, April 25, 2020

Gotta Love No. 59 - The Art of the Bust




My new obsession are portrait busts. This obsession started like most of mine do - catching my eye and then turning into a Pinterest board that explodes in a matter of days. I know when its become an obsession when I get the notification "Psst you've already saved this pin to The Art of the Bust.

The portrait bust was a Hellenistic Greek invention ultimately copied by the Romans. The Greek created the bust to represent idealized human forms of heros and gods. Romans represented real people to show respect for their ancestors, to immortalize them.



Obsessions are personal, our little secret, temporarily. I say temporarily because at some point we can't keep them to ourselves. We blubber about them. Then the thing we are obsessing about in the moment starts showing up everywhere we turn. 

With this recent obsession of mine I told not a soul. Then a most handsome bust of Guiliano de' Medici shows up in a post of a purveyor I follow. He was in a group of four but stood out calling my name. The resistance was nill and he now sits on my desk. The desk I am sitting at writing this blog post. I cannot lie - I am pausing now and again to pet it. I'm in love.






Now I know there are people reading this all over the world who are clapping with glee because they can rest in the assurance that my reaction to an obsession is the same as theirs. They realize they are not alone. Some may be in denial, no worries you'll soon recognize these symptoms at some point. 






You might find yourself carrying your bust around your home until you find the perfect spot. I've moved mine from one side of my desk to the other. Perhaps I'm satisfied with where he is, perhaps not. I'm still looking at the credenza in my dining area as a possible resting place. Time will tell. I am confident I'll know when the exact spot is found. It will just feel right.





I'm not even sure I'm done with this obsession. Guiliano may have some companions in the near future because there's something about a cluster of white busts that put a flutter in my heart. Or I might just stay infatuated with him alone.







Where you place your bust obsession in your domus will be an adventure for certain. Enjoy the journey! My handsome guy is a two foot tall beauty with a calming and restful face and he's a welcome addition to my home.




Gotta love healthy obsessions. And my Pinterest Board - sixty-six pins and counting. 


Sources: Tumblr, Hawker Antiques, Pufin Homes, The Ancient Home, Domino, Veranda, Pinterest, Hunters & Gatherers, Coco & Kelley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...