Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Rethinking the Look of Things No. 65 - Tattoos


If my kids saw my browser search history lately they might get a bit worried about Mom because the word "tattoo" would show up in excess. Ever since I came across the Dan Gold tattooed leather chair (see my blogpost "Gotta Love No. 56 - Skulls & Tattoos") I've been distracted by the idea of tattooed leather home decor. Just how could this be tastefully integrated into high end design? Well, hello my fellow idealists! 



Meet P. Tendercool, a bespoke handmade furniture company that tattooed the leatherback of one of their side chairs with inked serpentes. Go ahead and stare, I know I did. Then I thought let's take that idea and transform some so-so leather toss pillows with some ink. A leather round bolster is the perfect canvas for the art of a tattooist. 



Meet Oliver Sweeney, a tattooist who takes the canvas of British men's shoemakers and tells a story in tattoo art on the leather finery. What more perfect shoe for the groom than a pair that boosts a tattoo that says "My most brilliant achievement was my ability to persuade my wife to marry me". Love the shoe. Translation to our home - forget the black and white typographic wall hanging - put this bit of sweetness on a tattooed leather kidney pillow and add it to the favorite chair.




And Oliver Sweeney's custom Ben & Jerry's tattooed flavor list? Totally need tattooed on a leather barstool in the kitchen. Then how about your favorite drink recipes tattooed on the inside backs of leather barstools at your home bar? Yes!




Just how far will one go? I mean one either has no tattoos but stares in wonder at them. (Ahem, that's me!) Or one dips their toes in the tattoo pool and gets a small one tucked in a secret spot. Or there are the ones that jump full body into the art of tattoo. In home design - let's keep it a toe dipper version. Tattoo art in home design - less is more in this blogger's opinion.



Meet Article.com who handed over a leather ottoman to their local tattooist and received back a convo piece for the home. 



The stunning art of embossed leather has been an element in home design - let's shift and rethink the look of things and consider tattooed leather elements in our home.





Once you start rethinking the look of things - in this case tattoos in home design - it blows your mind. Ponder, delight in the possibilities, and then reign it all in and choose wisely. 



Sources: P. Tendercool, Article.com, Oliver Sweeney, Gessato, Red Bubble, Neiman Marcus, Etsy, The Fuller View





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...